This post contains referral or affiliate links to products I use, love & recommend. Read my disclosure here.
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. The pink-decorated stores all tell us it’s here, with shelves stocked full of fancy chocolates and sentimental cards. But maybe this could be the year to do something truly different to celebrate this holiday of love. Maybe you should spend Valentine’s Day at the beach.
Valentine’s Day is February 14th and Port Aransas is the perfect place to escape for a few relaxing nights and rekindle the romance. Since staying by the water adds a sense of magic to any vacation, here are a few of our favorite Valentine’s Day escapes near the water that are perfect for a lovely couple’s getaway.
* Note: We’re adding local events to this list over the next week, so bookmark this page for reference and some LOVE-ly ideas.
Share a cocktail while you shop
Sip and shop for your Valentine in Port Aransas. The Shops at Old Town at 345 N. Alister St. are hosting a special Valentine shopping event, called Cocktails and Kisses, on the afternoon of Thursday Feb. 6th.
Locally-owned stores located at The Shops at Old Town include:
- Island Images Salon
- Island Made Art
- Jo D’s Etc.
- Palm Republic
- Saltwater Gypsies
- Tippy Toes
Let’s eat chocolate
Grab your honey and venture out around town to 17 local Port Aransas businesses participating in the 2020 Chocolate Crawl on Thursday, Feb. 13th. Each shop will have fun chocolate tastings and some giveaways. The Chocolate Crawl is a great way to explore the many unique stores in town and have sweet time.
Featured shops participating in the Chocolate Crawl on Feb. 13th include:
- The 3rd Coast Shack
- Bella Bella Boutique on W. Avenue G
- Board House on N. Alister St.
- Bluewater Cowboy Mercantile on Beach St.
- C & G Sisters Island Boutique on Avenue G
- Chillas Storage & Gift Shop on Hwy. 361
- Farrah’s Fashion Boutique at Tower Center on Hwy. 361
- Fishtales on N. Alister St.
- Fly It Port A on W. Avenue G (aka the kite shop)
- Georgia’s Childrens Boutique on N. Alister St.
- Island Wine at Tower Center on Hwy. 361
- Jo D’s Etc. on N. Alister St.
- Lone Star Taste at The Shops on Hwy. 361
- Raggdoll Boutique on E. Avenue G
- Roam on N. Alister St.
- Stephanie’s Stuff on Hwy. 361 (inside Seafood & Spaghetti Works)
Take share-worthy sunrise or sunset photos
The Port Aransas scenery is one of the most romantic in the area. Catching a beautiful sunrise over the south jetty is a beautiful experience. Check your local weather app for exact times, then arrive about 15 minutes prior to sunrise to venture put onto the jetty for the best view.
Spend an evening at Roberts Point Park near the ferry landing for a fantastic view of the sunset over the bay. While you’re there, watch for dolphins jumping and sea turtles exploring around the wet rocks.
If you feel inspired and ready to propose to your significant other (so exciting!), here is my favorite list of romantic and photo-worthy spots in the Port Aransas:
- The end of Horace Caldwell Pier (windy, but scenic)
- In front of the “Greetings from Port Aransas” mural at Sly Customs Carts on Avenue G
- Roberts Point Park at sunset
- South jetty at sunrise
- On the beach at sunset
Enjoy a Texas wine-tasting
When you want great wine, look no further than Island Wine in Port Aransas. With so many Texas wineries and vineyards gaining popularity, there is no shortage of varietals to sample for Valentine’s Day with your love. Live music is a perk and their non-smoking atmosphere is also pet-friendly. They’re also participating in the Chocolate Crawl, because wine + chocolate = awesome.
RELATED: Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth at Winton’s Island Candy
Take a cruise around the bay
Step aboard the Red Dragon Pirate Cruise in Port Aransas for an adults-only Valentine’s Day cruise for couples. Tickets are $40/couple and I guarantee there will be lots of dancing and merriment. Call 361-749-2469 to reserve your spot.
No date required
Spend an evening with your girlfriends painting your own piece of pottery at Fire It! Ceramics. Their popular GALentine’s Day event in Port Aransas on February 13th is open to ladies only and it’s BYOB. Reservations are required, so call the shop at 361-749-7967 to save your table.
Savor some steaks & seafood
Treat your date to a delicious Valentine’s Day meal at Shells Pasta & Seafood. This popular seafood spot is perfect for a quaint dining experience. They’re offering a special menu, including lobster crostini, sautéed grouper and seafood fettuccine. Call 361-749-7621 for reservations.
Reserve a table at Black Marlin Grill at Palmilla Beach for a romantic dinner with your Valentine. With live music and a special Valentine menu, you’ll love the cozy atmosphere and upscale dishes. Reservations are a must at $75/person or $150/couple, so call 361-749-4653 to save your seats.
Plan a special night at Tortuga’s Saltwater Grill on Alister Street to surely impress your date. They’re offering a special menu with oysters, mussels, scampi, and a gruyere and asparagus-stuffed chicken breast (this sounds amazing!). Call ahead to 361-749-2739 or book your table on OpenTable to see availability.
Prefer waterfront dining? Fins Grill & Icehouse will have two outstanding specials for Valentine’s Day dining: a sautéed snapper with lemon shrimp cream sauce or a panko-crusted chicken topped with a Florentine sauce.
Located on Beach Street, Bluewater Cowboy Saloon will be featuring a dinner menu and sushi menu for Valentine’s Day. Main course dishes offered will include a 16 oz. beef tenderloin, lobster tails or sushi platter. Call 361-749-0106 because reservations are limited.
In addition to their regular menu, Montego Bay & Ziggy’s Hideout will offer a special menu for two, which includes oysters rock, lobster cakes and Chateaubriand. Round it out with bread pudding and chocolate truffles for dessert. Valentine’s Day couples will even receive a CD of love songs (what a great idea!). Make your reservation at 361-416-1831.
Local favorite, Castaways Seafood & Grill, is offering a special Valentine’s Day menu, featuring pan-seared scallops, blackened drum with roasted poblano sauce and vanilla creme brûlée. Call Castaways at 361-749-5394 to reserve your table.
RELATED: Restaurant Spotlight: Moby Dick’s Restaurant
Stay somewhere special
Rekindle the romance at Port Aransas’ oldest hotel, the historic Tarpon Inn on Cotter Ave. It’s located within walking distance to several waterfront restaurants and the marina for that hand-in-hand late night stroll with your Valentine. They’re offering strawberries and champagne to make your visit simply lovely. Call 361-749-5555 to reserve your room.
Experience the amazing aviation-themed rooms of Amelia’s Landing in Port Aransas for Valentine’s Day. Your lovely weekend will include: a continental breakfast in your room, champagne service for two, and your third night is free. Call 361-749-5572 to reserve your Valentine getaway.
Discover top-notch chefs in Port Aransas
You don’t have to look very far if you’re looking for a popular restaurant for Valentine’s Day lunch or dinner. Port Aransas is home to some of the most best chefs in the state, as discovered at the Texas Super Chef Throwdown Series last September. Not only is the food delicious and the seafood is fresh, but the atmosphere in these establishments is amazing.
Romantic local favorites include:
- Roosevelt’s at the Tarpon Inn
- Black Marlin Grill at Palmilla Beach
- Tortuga’s Saltwater Grill
- Venetian Hot Plate on Beach St.
- Shells Pasta & Seafood on Avenue G
- Jay’s Seafood & Spaghetti Works on Hwy. 361
- Lisabella’s Bistro at Cinnamon Shore
- Trout Street Bar & Grill on W. Cotter Ave.
- and so many more…
RELATED: 5 best Places to Grab Pizza in Port Aransas
Alway something to do on Valentine’s Day in Port A
Enjoying the day with your Valentine can be as simple as a stroll along the beach, catching the sunrise over the south jetty, or watching the sunset over the dunes from the pier. Whatever activity you choose, being with your love will make it extra special.
Activities you can do with anyone in Port Aransas:
- Rent a custom beach cart at Sly Customs for the day
- Paint pottery at Fire It! Ceramics
- Enjoy ice cream at Port A Creamery
- Listen to live music at Back Porch Bar
RELATED: 30+ Ways to Enjoy Port Aransas on a Rainy Day
Tips for spending your Valentine’s Day in Port Aransas
- Plan ahead. Make your rental and dinner reservations well in advance (like today). Many popular hotels, condos and restaurants fill up quickly.
- Expect changes from the usual. Check local businesses’ websites for special offerings, because on a popular holiday like Valentine’s Day, some menus, prices and hours will change. Call ahead to avoid disappointment by arriving last minute.
- Do some research. If you’re trying out a new (to you) restaurant, rental home or beach activity, be sure to research it so you’ll know what to wear or bring with you.
Whether you’re here for the first two weeks of February or the last two, it’s the season of love in Port Aransas. So as we all rush about to buy decadent chocolates and luxurious gifts for our special someone, consider throwing it all in the car and heading to the beach.
This year, draw your love a heart in the sand in Port Aransas.