This post contains referral or affiliate links to products I use, love & recommend. Read my disclosure here.
While we love our sunny days spent on the beach in Port Aransas, we also get our fair share of rainy, overcast days. There’s no need to stay indoors on a rainy day in Port Aransas. I’ve compiled a list of my family’s favorite rainy day activities to get you and your kids through any gray day at the beach.
If you’re looking for rainy day activities in this sandy city by the sea, here are a few suggestions…
1. Explore the island’s local museum
The Port Aransas Museum is open three days a week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Docents give tours, historical lessons, share games and offer tutorials. They also give scheduled tours of the Little Chapel on the Hill (aka Chapel in the Dunes).
Copies of more than 12,000 photos and documents pertaining to the history of Port Aransas are available for viewing, along with artifacts, oral histories of island locals and movies of Port Aransas in the 1920s.
Want to read more about the history of Port Aransas? Check out the book, Images of America: Port Aransas, for detailed stories and old photographs from Mustang Island.
2. Learn a little about wooden boats and how they’re made
See a pictorial history of the Farley family boat builders alongside a preserved 1930’s tarpon skiff, the “Tina”, at Farley Boat Works. The Port Aransas Museum re-established the Farley Boat Works in 2011, and now boats are once again being born here.
Call ahead for their schedule of wooden boat-making classes, and plan to attend the annual Wooden Boat Festival in Port Aransas.
Curious to learn more about wooden boats? Check out The Big Book of Wooden Boat Restoration: Basic Techniques, Maintenance, and Repair.
3. Paint your own ceramic creation at the pottery shop
Select your favorite ceramic pieces to paint and let the courteous staff at Fire It! Ceramics help you pick colors. Pieces are fired and ready within a few days. Painting pottery is a very popular activity on a rainy day in Port Aransas.
Spending your rainy beach day indoors doing something creative like painting pottery is a great way to use your imagination. Fire It! Ceramics allows you to bring in your own food and drinks to enjoy while you paint, so you can enjoy your time. Stir up your creativity and paint something nautical to remind you of the beach.
Want to paint your own pottery creation at home? Check out this cool ready-to-paint ceramic coaster set.
4. See a live performance at the local theater
The Port Aransas Community Theater (PACT) provides a venue for live performances, movies, public interest presentations and much more. Check their schedule for upcoming performances for adults and children.
The PACT is located on Highway 361 and has plenty of public parking.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: 40+ Family-Friendly Things to Do in Port Aransas
5. Fill your own bag of sweets at the candy shop
Satisfy your sweet tooth with all the sweet and sour candies you can fit in your bag at Winton’s Island Candy. Their specialty is saltwater taffy, homemade fudge and assorted popular candy sold by the pound. They even have sugar-free chocolate options too!
Can’t make it to Winton’s in Port Aransas, but still craving the sweetness of homemade chocolate candy? Learn how to make your own deliciousness at home with The Sweet Book of Candy Making: From the Simple to the Spectacular – How to Make Caramels, Fudge, Hard Candy, Fondant, Toffee, and More!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth at Winton’s Island Candy
6. Learn about marine life at the University of Texas Marine Science Institute’s Education Center
The UTMSI Marine Science Education Center promotes marine science with self guided tours and educational movies. Visit the Ocean Emporium gift shop for souvenirs and education items. Over 40,000 visitors tour the facility annually.
Curious to learn more about life below the surface? Check out this awesome book, Citizens of the Sea: Wondrous Creatures From the Census of Marine Life (the photos are amazing!).
7. Shop for souvenirs, t-shirts or Christmas ornaments at local stores
Use rainy days at the beach as the perfect day to get out and explore some of the local businesses and shops that are unique and only found here, like Lone Star Taste, Gratitude, Stephanie’s Stuff and Coastal Closet.
Support local family businesses that help make Port Aransas the best and friendliest place around.
More rainy day ideas to enjoy
We recently asked our followers on our Facebook page what they like to do on rainy days at the beach, and here are some of their responses.
- Check out the Fly It Port A Kite Shop
- Stop by Coffee Waves for coffee and gelato
- Listen to live music at local venues
- Grab a best seller book, a blanket and sit on the covered patio to enjoy an afternoon of reading
- Play some card games or a board games indoors
- Try your hand at a poker game at Bernie’s, daily at 3pm.
- Watch the offshore fishing boats come into the marina and unload their catches around 5-7pm. Check with Dolphin Docks, Deep Sea Headquarters and Woody’s Sports Center to find out times.
- Stop by Island Wine at The Shops at Port A for a Texas wine-tasting and acoustic live music
- Have a pool noodle fight in the rain
- Take a nap. Sit outside on the covered balcony of your rental and be lulled to sleep by the pitter-patter of rain drops
- Swing by the local seafood market or IGA grocery store to get ingredients to make a seafood gumbo, shrimp cocktail or seafood boil to enjoy in your rental, while enjoying the rain
- Grab a hat and a bucket to walk the beach in search of sea shells. If you’re lucky, you’ll catch a rainbow over the ocean.
- Stop by Desserted Island for a warm brownie sundae or banana split. Challenge your friends to a game of foosball or checkers while you’re there.
- Make an appointment at Balinese Wellness Spa for yoga, massage or spa services
- Hot Nails at The Shops at Port A for a manicure and pedicure
- Visit the Port Aransas Art Center, check the schedule of art classes available each day.
- Check out the local bar scene for happy hour specials, live music and events, like belt sander races at The Gaff.
- Have lunch by the water on the covered patio at Beach Lodge, Trout Street Grill or Fins Grill.
- Grab some pizza at The Gaff, Seafood & Spaghetti Works (aka Jay’s, yes they have great pizza), Stingray’s Taphouse or Port A Pizzeria for the buffet.
- Try your hand at some beach photography under the Horace Caldwell Pier
- If the weather is simply overcast, schedule a family sandcastle building lesson with The Sandcastle Guy.
- Visit the Port Aransas Community Park to enjoy the basketball courts, soccer goals, skate park and walking trails.
Day Trips off the Island
- Make the short drive over to North Beach in Corpus Christi to the Texas State Aquarium and USS Lexington Museum. The aquarium is open every day with indoor and outdoor exhibits, a large gift shop and coffee shop inside. The popular dolphin shows are outside and are scheduled several times a day.
- Take a trip into downtown Corpus Christi to visit the historic two-story Whataburger by the Bay.
Regardless of the weather, there’s no shortage of activities to fill your days in Port Aransas. Don’t let the rain stop you from getting out and exploring all of the unique and fun things to do around town.
Then come back and tell me YOUR favorite thing to do on a rainy day in Port Aransas. Have fun!