While we love our sunny days spent on the beach in Port Aransas, we also get our fair share of rainy, overcast days. There’s no need to stay indoors on a rainy day in Port Aransas. I’ve compiled a list of my family’s favorite rainy day activities to get you and your kids through any gray day at the beach.
If you’re looking for rainy day activities in our city by the sea, here are a few suggestions…
1. Explore the island’s local museum.
The Port Aransas Museum is open three days a week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Docents give tours, historical lessons, share games and offer tutorials. They also give tours of the Little Chapel on the Hill (aka Chapel in the Dunes). Copies of more than 12,000 photos and documents pertaining to the history of Port Aransas are available for viewing, along with artifacts, oral histories of island locals and movies of Port Aransas in the 1920s.
2. Learn a little about wooden boats and how they’re made at Farley Boat Works.
See a pictorial history of the Farley family boat builders alongside a preserved 1930’s tarpon skiff, the “Tina”. The Port Aransas Museum re-established the Farley Boat Works in 2011, and now boats are once again being born here. Call ahead for their schedule of wooden boat-making classes.
3. Paint your own ceramic creation at the pottery shop.
Select your favorite ceramic pieces to paint and let the courteous staff at Fire It! Ceramics help you pick colors. Pieces are fired and ready within a few days. Painting pottery is a very popular rainy day activity in Port Aransas.
4. See a live performance at the local theater.
The Port Aransas Community Theater (PACT) provides a venue for live performances, movies, public interest presentations and much more. Check their schedule for upcoming performances for adults and children.
5. Fill your own bag of sweets at the candy shop.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with all the sweet and sour candies you can fit in your bag at Winton’s Island Candy. Their specialty is saltwater taffy, homemade fudge and assorted popular candy sold by the pound. They even have sugar-free chocolate options too!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth at Winton’s Island Candy
6. Learn about marine life at the University of Texas Marine Science Institute’s Education Center.
The UTMSI Marine Science Education Center promotes marine science with self guided tours and educational movies. Visit the Ocean Emporium gift shop for souvenirs and education items. Over 40,000 visitors tour the facility annually.
Note: The center was damaged during Hurricane Harvey in August of 2017 and is being rebuilt.
7. Shop for souvenirs, t-shirts or Christmas ornaments at local stores.
Use rainy days at the beach as the perfect day to get out and explore some of the local businesses and shops that are unique and only found here, like Lone Star Taste, Gratitude, Stephanie’s Stuff and Coastal Closet. Support local family businesses that help make Port Aransas the best and friendliest place around.
More rainy day ideas from our Facebook Group
- Check out the Fly It Port A Kite Shop
- Coffee Waves for coffee and gelato
- Listen to live music at local venues
- Grab a book, a blanket and a covered patio to enjoy an afternoon of reading.
- Play cards or a board game indoors
- Try your hand at a poker game at Bernie’s, daily at 3pm.
- Watch the offshore fishing boats come into the marina and unload their catches around 5-7pm. Check with Dolphin Docks, Deep Sea Headquarters and Woody’s Sports Center to find out times.
- Stop by Island Wine at The Shops for a Texas wine-tasting and acoustic live music.
- Have a pool noodle fight in the rain
- Take a nap. Sit outside on the covered balcony of your rental and be lulled to sleep by the pitter-patter of rain drops.
- Swing by the local seafood market to get ingredients to make a seafood gumbo, shrimp cocktail or seafood boil to enjoy in your rental, while enjoying the rain.
- Grab a hat and a bucket to walk the beach in search of sea shells. If you’re lucky, you’ll catch a rainbow over the ocean.
- Stop by Desserted Island for a warm brownie sundae or banana split. Challenge your friends to a game of foosball or checkers while you’re there.
- Balinese Wellness Spa for yoga, massage or spa services
- Hot Nails at The Shops for a manicure and pedicure
- Visit the Port Aransas Art Center, check schedule of classes.
- Check out the local bar scene for happy hour specials, live music and events, like belt sander races at The Gaff.
- Have lunch by the water on the covered patio at Beach Lodge, Trout Street Grill or Fins Grill.
- Grab some pizza at The Gaff, Seafood & Spaghetti Works (aka Jay’s, yes they have great pizza), Stingray’s Taphouse or Port A Pizzeria for the buffet.
- Try your hand at some beach photography under the Horace Caldwell Pier
- If the weather is simply overcast, schedule a family sandcastle building lesson with The Sandcastle Guy.
- Visit the Port Aransas Community Park to enjoy the basketball courts, soccer goals, skate park and walking trails.
Day Trips off the Island
- Make the short drive over to North Beach in Corpus Christi to the Texas State Aquarium and USS Lexington Museum. The aquarium is open every day with indoor and outdoor exhibits, a large gift shop and coffee shop inside. The popular dolphin shows are outside and are scheduled several times a day.
- Take a trip into downtown Corpus Christi to visit the historic two-story Whataburger by the Bay.
Regardless of the weather, there’s no shortage of activities to fill your days in Port Aransas. Don’t let the rain stop you from getting out and exploring all of the unique and fun things to do around town.
Then come back and tell me YOUR favorite thing to do on a rainy day in Port A. Have fun!